Wednesday 24 April 2013

GMC and RCM must now move urgently to review their abortion guidance in light of Glasgow midwives court ruling


Two Roman Catholic midwives have today won a landmark legal battle to avoid taking any part in abortion procedures.

Mary Doogan, 58, and Concepta Wood, 52, (pictured) lost a previous case against NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (GGC) when the court ruled that their human rights had not been violated as they were not directly involved in terminations.

However appeal judges have now ruled their right to conscientious objection means they can refuse to delegate, supervise or support staff involved in abortions.

The Guardian, BBC and Scottish TV have all reported on today’s ruling and I have previously blogged more extensively on the case here and here. The midwives have understandably welcomed today’s verdict.

The judgment is hugely significant and means that official guidance from both the Royal College of Midwives (RCM) and the General Medical Council (GMC) will almost certainly now need revision.

The Abortion Act 1967 gives healthcare professionals the right to conscientiously object to ‘participate’ in abortion but the scope of the word ‘participate’ has been the matter of some legal dispute.

But Lady Dorrian, who heard the challenge with Lord Mackay of Drumadoon and Lord McEwan, said: ‘In our view the right of conscientious objection extends not only to the actual medical or surgical termination but to the whole process of treatment given for that purpose.’

She said the conscientious objection in the legislation is given ‘not because the acts in question were previously, or may have been, illegal’ but ‘because it is recognised that the process of abortion is felt by many people to be morally repugnant’.

Lady Dorrian added: ‘It is in keeping with the reason for the exemption that the wide interpretation which we favour should be given to it. It is consistent with the reasoning which allowed such an objection in the first place that it should extend to any involvement in the process of treatment, the object of which is to terminate a pregnancy.’

In the earlier judgement Lady Smith had said that since the midwives were not covered by the conscience clause as ‘they (were) not being asked to play any direct role in bringing about terminations of pregnancy’.

But this has now been overturned.

If this latest ruling is not overturned by a higher court (and it is not yet clear if an appeal will be made by the Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Board) then the current RCM guidance will almost certainly need to be revised. It currently reads as follows:

‘The RCM believes that the interpretation of the conscientious objection clause should only include direct involvement in the procedure of terminating pregnancy. Thus all midwives should be prepared to care for women before, during and after a termination in a maternity unit under obstetric care.’

In addition, the latest GMC guidance, which ironically came into force only two days ago, will similarly need to be rewritten. It currently reads:

'In England, Wales and Scotland the right to refuse to participate in terminations of pregnancy (other than where the termination is necessary to save the life of, or prevent grave injury to, the pregnant woman), is protected by law under section 4(1) of the Act. This right is limited to refusal to participate in the procedure(s) itself and not to pre- or post-treatment care, advice or management, see the Janaway case: Janaway v Salford Area Health Authority [1989] 1AC 537'

As Neil Addison points out in para 33 of the Judgment the court makes clear that professional guidelines can be legally wrong and cannot overrule statute, it says:

‘Great respect should be given to the advice provided hitherto by the professional bodies, but prior practice does not necessarily dictate interpretation. Moreover, when the subject of the advice concerns a matter of law, there is always the possibility that the advice from the professional body is incorrect’.

Because this Judgment is from a Scottish Court (and Scotland is a different jurisdiction to England and Wales) it is not strictly binding on an English Court. However it will nonetheless have significant persuasive force in England. The Abortion Act 1967 applies in England, Wales and Scotland (but not in Northern Ireland) and when Scottish Courts have adjudicated on such ‘cross border’ legislation in the past their decisions have been taken very seriously in England and Wales and vice versa. 

I have previously argued that the GMC was over-interpreting the law in a grey area in issuing its guidance. But this latest judgement clarifies the law in a way that now makes that virtually certain.

I trust that the RCM and GMC will move swiftly to review and revise their guidance so that midwives and doctors with a conscientious objection to abortion are clear where they now stand. 

6 comments:

  1. Well said.

    It's amusing that the GMC published their wrong guidelines two days before the judgment.

    The Guardian report you linked to, made much of the fact that the two nurses are "Catholics", and said:

    "The ruling ... may have wide ramifications for the NHS and other health staff who oppose abortions on religious grounds."

    I wonder what they mean by that. What "ramifications"?

    Try as the Guardian might to make out otherwise, this case had nothing at all to do with "religion". The judgment empowers anybody who doesn't wish to collaborate with the abortion industry, regardless of whether they have "religious" grounds for this, or other grounds that have nothing to do with religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my name is Morgan Nathan let me give this testimony to the public about a great man who help me out in serious illness I have HIV AID for good 5year and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the way my skin look like all I have in my mind is let me just give up because life
    was no interested to me any longer but I just pray for God every day to accept my soul when ever I’m gone lucky to me my kid sister ran to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure HIV/AIDS she helped me out on everything the man ask for my picture, so he can cast a spell on me from his temple after all he ask is done 45mins later I started getting more stronger my blood started flowing normally for 4 to 5 days I start getting Weight before a month my body start developing my skin start coming up after 2month I went for HIV test and I was tested negative I’m so happy that I can say I’m not a HIV patient if
    you have HIV/AIDS or any sickness please for your sake contact him for cure now on drlawcyspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr.okoh with a heart of gratitude, i want to let know to world about my happiness and i want to say God will bless you and your househood for your good works. I'm Rea Rivera, from Manila Philipine, i was confirm Hiv positive and i was just living with the help of medication.i came across a comments on a blog how Dr.okoh cured her, i was really shock but i contacted him and now i'm cured also. i will contiune to talk about your good works just the same way people have been talking about how you cure them from their hiv disease, I'm happy now. you can contact him If you have any problem or you are also infected with any disease, kindly contact him now with his Email: dr.okohspellhome@gmail.com or call him on +2348110745051

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Vera from United State of America,I want you all to help me thank Dr.Oko for saving my life, I was diagnosed of HIV and at the same time I was 5 months pregnant, I was confused and I didn’t know what to do until I met a friend on the internet who directed me to Dr. Oko, i did not believe it until i contacted the good man who was able to help me out of the situation with his spiritual powers, it only take just 7days to cure HIV through Dr. Oko so i will also advice any body that needs help with theirs curing of diseases to contact Dr. Oko through his email address, solutionhome@outlook.com or phone him @ +2347032884728. Thanks and God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,my name is marl i want to testify no what Dr idadume did for me, i was
    infected with H.I.V disease wish cost me my relationship, and i was all
    alone till i met a friend of my who directed me to Dr idadume, i never
    believed in spell caster or voodoo till i met him, he casts a spell on me
    that cure me from H.I.V. if you need help or you have a problem, there is
    nothing Dr idadume can do,so e-mail him with this mail address:
    dridadumespelltemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings, i want to appreciate dr Osula for Helping my husband and i of HIV disease we were infected with Hiv for some years, i read an article about Dr Osula and i contacted him and told him our problem, he told me not to worry that he can help us, he prepared and medicine and sent it to me and instructed me on how we will take it. i am so happy to tell you now that my husband and i are completely HIV negative. You can also contact him if you have any problem and i promise you that you will be happy just as i am now. contact him on his Email: dr.osulaspellhome@gmail.com or call +2349030368565

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.